Sunday, February 24, 2013

Paquette Palate

It stands to reason that your family will develop a taste for the foods you love.  My comfort food has always been Potatoes and Gravy.  Urban legend has it that my first words were 'Teetoes 'n Geebee'.  My kids also love Potatoes and Gravy, and to take it to a higher culinary plane, I throw in some crust and make it a pot pie.  My Chicken Pot Pie is one of my family's favorite meals.  I made it recently at Joe's request and I thought since this blog was originally formulated to share recipes and food ideas, I'd share this recipe.

The most important part of this recipe is the crust.  This recipe is from a Betty Crocker cookbook that my mom gave me when I moved into my first apartment in 1981.  The binding is gone, and most of the pages are loose.  You can tell where the good recipes are because the pages are stiff from having food slopped on them.  Can you find the book?



I've adapted the recipe for my recipe file:


It's the celery seed that makes this pastry!  And 4-5 Tbs of water??? I always have to use more...


Roll out the dough - then I put it in my big Pampered Chef Deep Dish Baker.  Into the crust I put a variety of things. This particular day, I didn't have any leftover chicken or yummy homemade gravy, so I used a rotisserie chicken from the store, five boiled and cubed potatoes, one diced onion that I sauteed with about two cups of sliced carrots.  I topped that with about a cup of frozen corn.



Then I poured two cans of chicken gravy (oh I SOOOO much prefer to use my own homemade gravy, but alas, I had none...) over top, using the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes down into the veggies so the gravy soaked down into it.



Put on the top crust - add a few cookie cutter embellishments and bake!



I like using the stoneware, because it bakes the bottom crust nice and crispy as well as the top.  YUM!

I'd love to hear what makes your Pot Pies fabulous!

2 comments:

  1. Celery seed? Who would have thunk. Going to have to try that one.
    When in a pinch, I use boxed stuffing mix for a bottom crust and just don't put a top crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! The stuffing on the bottom sounds like a good idea too!

    ReplyDelete