Tuesday, February 12, 2013

In Preparation


I attended a Taize service last night at St. Mary's Catholic church. If you are not familiar with Taize, it is described as:

“… a meditative form of common prayer.  Gathered in the presence of Christ we sing uncomplicated, repetitive songs, uncluttered by too many words, allowing the mystery of God to become tangible throughout the beauty of simplicity.  A few words sung over and over again reinforce the meditative quality of prayer.  They express a basic reality of faith that can quickly be grasped by the intellect and that gradually penetrates the whole being.”

Here is just one example:


I don’t think my friends would characterize me as a person who is short of words.  However when it comes time to speak to God, I become a woman of very few words, and the words that do come do not sound like something I would say.  I’ve been exposed to people who pray in tongues, and I ‘get’ that charism, but I haven’t embraced it for myself yet, although I think this gift would ease my muteness.

But Taize!  To sing the prayers – chant-like – the ostinato underlying the beautiful psalms  It is such a release of spirit to be able to sing words of praise, longing and worship.

With that spiritual foundation laid, it is time to prepare for Lent. ..

No comments:

Post a Comment