Monday, July 1, 2013

CSA June 26



3 pounds of green beans
1/2 dozen eggs
3 pounds of potatoes
2 bunches of green onions
2 bunches of beets
2 bunches of swiss chard
14 ears of bicolor corn(white and yellow on the same cob)
1 head of broccoli
1/2 pint of raspberries
1 pint of blackberries
1 bag of tomatoes

This week was a feeding frenzy without photos!  

Anne Marie and her fiance came to dinner on Thursday, where I served grilled pork chops and a plethora of CSA delights.  But we ate them all and didn't think to take any pictures!  


  • I served beets, boiled, peeled, sliced with buttersaltandpepper. 
  • I served the corn on the cob - I tried the microwave method: put the corn in the microwave husk and all, no soaking, three minutes per ear.  Then you chop the stem end off and the ear is supposed to slip out - none of mine did, but they did peel easily and the silk came off easily too.  Maybe because we were peeling them from the bottom?  Regardless, they were still tasty.  Not quite as good as boiled or grilled, but in a pinch I know I can nuke!
  • I also made The. Best. Green. Beans:  http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/04/southern-style-green-beans-with.html  I used two of the onions, the red spuds and half of the beans in this dish.  In fact, it might be the green beans' fault that no pictures were taken...
  • We ate the broccoli with grilled hot dogs one night.  Chopped up one of the onions to sprinkle on the dogs.


Last night we had family dinner - all were here but Nique, who is in CT.  I used the tomatoes to make a caprese.  I used the Swiss chard in a stuffed shells dish that was a big hit!  Like my lasagna, the shells were not of a recipe -  I just kinda wing these things.  I can tell you I used feta, mild Italian sausage and the chard in the stuffing - threw in a little dried oregano and basil. Stuffed them, laid them in a slathering of jarred sketti sauce and covered with more, then topped with mozzarella.  Heated in a 350 degree oven for around 30 minutes.

My son in law Jeremy, asked me to make sure I don't lose this recipe...  Now if it was just written down somewhere...  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment