Monday, June 10, 2013

CSA May 29


2 quarts of strawberries
10 pints of sugar snap peas
2 bunches of beets
1 dozen eggs
2 whole garlic plants 

Again, the strawberries didn't last 24 hours, (ahem, they don't all go in my Chardonnay...), the eggs were absorbed in our breakfasts and the peas were snacked on throughout the week.  The garlic is still in my veggie basket - I'm hoping they will dry like normal garlic bulbs.

The beets though...  

I'd only had beets one other time in my life - in last year's CSA.  This year, like last year, I roasted the beets in the oven for about an hour, pulled off the outer skin, sliced them up and tossed them in butter, salt and pepper.  But this year I also sauteed the greens!  (I'm getting daring in my old age!)  I loosely followed this recipe: Roasted-Beets-and-Sauteed-Beet-Greens 


 I served this with a salad and grilled salmon. It was incredible!  Even my 19 year old son, who is a young man of very few words, commented on how much he enjoyed the beets!  I'll definitely be making this meal again, but I feel the need to pace myself.  I tend to find something new and then serve it too often.  I do believe though that I will serve this before next year's CSA!

No comments:

Post a Comment