Sunday, April 7, 2013

March Quilting Queue Update

I know, I know. It is a whole week into April, and I'm just now getting March's review out.  But be patient - it has been Spring Break and I haven't been in a position to sit down and organize my thoughts for March yet!  I really have some great excuses though:

We spent April 1st at the Supreme Court watching my sister-in-law, Danielle Pray, get sworn into the bar by the Supreme Court Justices.  



This is Danielle with her daughter Emilie and husband Steven. 

I spent a good deal of time just gawking at the splendor that only these fabulous old buildings can offer.  



My favorite was the ceilings.

As SOON as that event was over (literally!) we headed to Florida to spend some time with 


my Dad and stepmom Tobie.  


Gracie's 11th birthday was on the 4th, so we took her to Universal Studios to check out 'The Wizarding World of Harry Potter'.


Just as Gracie finished dragging us on all the water rides she could find, the skies opened up and got all the rest of our dry parts drenched.  We. Were. Wet!

So now I'm home. I have a day to get organized before my RealJob starts back up tomorrow - assuming there are no more snow days in the forecast (three in March!  Unbelievable!).  Thanks to the snow days though, this is what I was able to complete this month:



 These are the Gen-X Quilters 'Sisters Ten' blocks for March.  I had a really hard time getting into this block - not my favorite.  I thought it looked like Frankenstein - so I actually took it a little that direction and fussy cut those center blocks to look like eyeballs...  
(I'm also frustrated that I can't get two pictures on the same 'line'... My learning curve on this blog is tremendous! Ugh! Bear with me...)



These are the second round of blocks from the Skill Builder BOM.


March block from the Craftsy 2013 BOM. It actually needs one more border, but I'm not sure where I'm going to use it, so I don't know how big I need it to be yet.  I'll add that later.



I did two month's worth of my Folk Art Cats quilt, since I didn't start it until March 29. I did the outline stitching while visiting with Dad and Tobie. The guy with the eyepatch makes me smile...


Here are my Sue Spargo Dancing Birdies BOM for March!  The green is a little washed out, but they are still fabulous.  I modified the wing a bit on the top birdie - my first modification on this project which must mean I'm getting comfortable with this genre.



Of all the work I did this month, the most important was that I finished Mike's Civil War quilt!!!  This is machine pieced, but was all hand quilted. (You can see some of the quilting in this photo on the right.) From start to finish I think this project took 12-13 months, the last five months or so just on the quilting.  It is 100x100 inches and is by far the biggest thing I've ever done.

Mike loves it and I'm feeling pretty smug about how nice it turned out





I'm a week into April, but since I've been out of town I'm feeling like I'm not organized yet.  I've got a few obstacles to my time this month beyond my RealJob - I'll save that news for another post.  One thing I have in my queue for this month - DUE on 4/21 - is to make myself a quilted nametag for the Quilt Guild I joined.  UGH!  So many ideas but no idea if I can pull it off!  I may end up with a sticky note pasted to my forehead!

No comments:

Post a Comment